ABOUT PININFARINA ENGINEERING
From the second half of the 90s, the strategy of acting as Full Service Provider has been pursued by constantly upgrading engineering activities. 2002 marked the setting up of the Cambiano Engineering Center, with the aim of integrating styling and production activities and of offering the customer a full range of services.
Pininfarina Engineering proposes product and process engineering services, prototypes and experimentation, aerodynamic and aeroacoustics analysis and research aiming to provide full vehicle turn-key / package engineering services and to be the “trait d’union” between Pininfarina Style and Manufacturing.
Set up in July 2018, Pininfarina Engineering is an independent branch, 100% controlled by Pininfarina S.p.A..
Pininfarina Engineering counts more than 450 Engineers working in Turin and in Munich, at Pininfarina Deutschland Holding GmbH, part of Pininfarina Engineering since July 2018.
Pininfarina Engineering has offices in Turin, Munich and Leonberg.
The headquarter is located in Turin (Italy), at via Nizza, n. 262 int. 25/27 (inside Lingotto Building).
- General Manager & Group CTO
- Vice President
- Head of Program Management
- Sales & Marketing Director
TURN KEY PROVIDER
Pininfarina Engineering is an experienced Turn-Key Project provider and aims to be the “trait d’union” between Pininfarina Style and Manufacturing through:
As a service provider with 450+ engineers located in Italy and in Germany, Pininfarina Engineering is able to deliver turn key programs or work packages, covering the entire product and process development and offering a complete service accross following domains:
- Package creation and basic architecture
- Concept definition and development
- Benchmarking, target setting and deployment
- Product and process complete feasibility
- Product and process development (Body, Trim, Chassis, Powertrain, E/E ADAS)
- Virtual (CAE) and physical validation (Testing)
- Performance management
- Quality control
- Homologation and legislation checks
- Industrial follow up
- Program management
Virtual Validation (CAE)
Pininfarina Engineering has an experienced team fully dedicated to Virtual Analysis and Validation (CAE) in Static NVH, Non linear Durability, CFD, Vehicle dynamics, Safety Worldwide.
Some examples of the CAE competences:
- CAE Plan definition and management
- Virtual Performance Management (i.e., weight, body stiffness, body frequencies, durability), according to Key Targets deployments done by PEs
- Static NVH: Body in white Stiffness and Modes, Vibration Inertance, FRF, acoustics, etc.
- Safety: full structural crash, sub-systems analysis, pedestrian impact
- Non linear and Durability: movable parts analysis, Body durability, welding resistance
- CFD analysis: external aerodynamics and wind loads, vent and defrost evaluation, aeroacoustics and correlation of virtual analysis with Wind Tunnel Tests Results
- Thermal analysis
Physical Validation (Testing)
The Validation department can operate during the whole vehicle development process from concept phase up to production support. Benchmarking & Target Setting, Vehicle & Macro Systems DVPs, Macro System Testing and Vehicle Testing are some of the main activities carried out in each phase of the project.
Pininfarina Engineering performs and manages tests execution for all the main performance areas in a new/derivative project, optimizes and tunes the complete validation program by using Pininfarina internal facilities, supplier facilities or Customer facilities (integration in the Customer structure).
Pininfarina Engineering leads and manages following validation activities:
- Strength & Misuse
- Noise Vibration Harshness
- S&R – Solidity
- Cabin Insulation
- Passive Safety
Aerodynamic & Aero-Acoustic
Thermal Comfort (HVAC)
Engine cooling & Heat protection
Wind Tunnel - CFD
Pininfarina is the only not-OEM owning its own Wind Tunnel, a center of excellence for research and development in the aerodynamics and aero-acoustics field since 1972.
Wind tunnel has a “Car to Ground” relative motion, a movable carpet system for the road simulation and the Turbulence Generation System, that produces a flow of controlled turbulence similar to that on the road. A new low noise high speed Fan-Drive System (13 fans) increases Wind Speed up to 260 km/h and reduces background noise level to 68 dBA at 100 km/h.
The culture of Pininfarina stylists and engineers is shaped around the concept of the aerodynamic and aero-acoustic functionality integration.
Vehicles Aerodynamics and aero-acoustics analysis:
- Passenger cars & Racing cars
- Low-drag research cars
- Two wheels vehicles
- Aircrafts and High Speed Trains
- Industrial vehicles (1:2.5 To 1:5 scale models)
- Aeroacoustics analysis
A strong skilled team of Pininfarina’s Program Managers addresses projects challenges and ensures both the control of the projects, tracking progress, identifying gaps, risks and countermeasures, and a proper communication to the Customer.
The main activities of the Program Management during the product development are:
- Constant interfacing with the Customer, as well as coordination and control of the resources
- Project brief and workscope definition and budgeting to achieve quality and customer expectations
- WBS definition
- Timing plan definition and management
- Rasi Chart definition and management
- Control of the activities and the deliverables process
- Cost management
- Problem solving management
- Management of risk analysis and related containment plans
- Project change management
- Lesson learning process management
- Project reporting and KPI
- Progress meetings between management board and clients
Concept Definition / Architecture
From the very early stages of the project, Pininfarina Engineering supports designers and the product body of the Client in the Concept Definition and in the Style Feasibility.
Pininfarina Engineering is able to develop completely new and modular platforms, both traditional and electric/hybrid.
Some examples of the concept/architecture competences leaded by Pininfarina Engineering:
- Preliminary package
- Communality strategy definition
- Preliminary E-BOM
- Support in geometrical target definition
- Ergonomic Analysis
- Detailed Package 3D drawing
- Style feasibility and convergence process
- Homologation and Legislation verification
- Virtual prototype building, assembly sequence checks and management
- CAD models coherence and completeness versus BoM
- Interferences and functional gaps
- After sale serviceability check
- Geometrical sign-off
SHAPE (SHARED PRODUCT EXECUTION).
Pininfarina Engineering owns a product development standard process, called SHAPE (SHARED PRODUCT EXECUTION).
It is a cross-functional business process based on gates, stages, milestones and deliverables, to control technical and performance achievement, time, cost and to ensure a robust development. It is extremely flexible and allows an easy alignment with any OEM’s process. We are also able to follow only parts of the project (e.g., full BIW, Interiors,…) as Specialist Work-Package (Platform development, Body development,…).
Pininfarina Engineering is also able to develop turn key program following the product development process of the customers.
1 - Product Exploration
- Engage Customer
- Establish requirements
- Draft business case
- Styling options & packaging analysis
- Develop draft manufacturing & supplier strategy
- Establish draft targets
- Understand the potential market and to define the product
- Product Briefing/ Benchmarking
- Brand Heritage & Marketing Research
- Trend Analysis
2 - Concept Evaluation
- Styling theme creation
- Market update & product requirements definition
- Target vehicle cost, weight, performance and quality identification
- Draft BOM creation
- Draft validation plan / product component
- FMEAs definition
- Draft manufacturing strategy
- Legal and regulatory requirements
- Suppliers/procurement strategy identified (FSS / BTP) & suppliers of key components on board for feasibility
- Draft business case definition
- Detailed timing plan definition
- Major program risks identification
- Draft RASI
3 - Concept definition & feasibility
- Style surface development (class B)
- Vehicle & component target costs, weights, performance & quality convergence
- detailed BOM definition
- Validation plan / product FMEAs update
- Customer/consumer validation of concept
- Manufacturing strategy, draft layout & feasibility definition; PFMEAs identification
- Long lead tooling items identification
- Suppliers selection and co-development & target agreements confirmation
- Detailed timing plan with responsibilities
- Program risks mitigation;
- Completion of the feasibility checks
4 - Development
- Vehicle cost, weight, performance targets convergence and agreement
- Reliability plan definition
- Legal and regulatory requirements integration and confirmation
- Component & tooling designs completion; FMEAs update
- Production process designs completion;
- FMEAs target achievement; process control plans agreement
- Supplier activation; logistics costs definition
- Detailed timing plan with responsibilities confirmation
- Draft launch plan definition
- Change management
- Program risks review
5 - Tooling and process validation
- Tests and homologation plans for pre-series vehicles finalization
- Target achievement with off-tools parts confirmation
- Supplier process (PPAP/PSW on-target)
- Manufacturer assembly facilities; processes; tools and gauges validation
- Manufacturing, logistic costs review
- Detailed timing plan with responsibilities monitoring
- Launch plan confirmation
- Program risks review – including deviation status and countermeasures
6 - Pre-series
- Tests (including homologation & reliability) for pre-series vehicles completion
- Customer/consumer confirmatory trials completion
- Manufacturer assembly processes agreement (including control plan); process capability management (PSW on-target)
- Product worker training completion
- Business case review
- Detailed timing plan for reminder of project review
- Review spend to date & confirm funding, & resource requirements for remainder of project
- Programme risks review – including deviation status and countermeasures
7 - Ramp-up
- Ramp-up KPIs review (product quality, costs, sales demand)
- Launch support
- Lessons learned workshop held, lessons capture
- Closing of the project – Review
- Handover to the customer
The engineering sector proposes product and process engineering services, prototypes and experimentation, aerodynamic and aeroacustic analysis and research.
Various experiences in the sustainable mobility business (since 1978) as electric, hybrid and hydrogen vehicles, have permitted to create PF’s Public & Private partnerships in the Ecosystem and specific expertise in the electric and hybrid vehicles design and engineering. For example:
- HK H600 Hybrid production vehicle
- H2Speed Hydrogen Concept
- Blue Car EV production vehicle
- NIDO EV Concept
CONNECTED & AUTONOMOUS VEHICLES
Pininfarina owns the know-how for successfully integrating the single components into the vehicle, in accordance with installation and functionality requirements, to achieve the desired performance for active guidance during parking and driving, 360° view of the environment, object detection, traffic sign detection and much more.
Pininfarina Engineering leads Engineering Turn-Key Programs covering the whole Vehicle Development Process including whereas required investigation and development of new Vehicle Architectures & Platforms to meet Strategic Intents defined by Customers.
Systems suppliers are fully integrated since the early stage of concept aiming to identify economic and innovation opportunities.
Basic steps :
- Product Briefing Analysis
- Functional Objectives – Primary goals setting
- Architecture Package Ideation – modular concept definition and systems layout set up
- Vehicle Occupant Packaging and Vehicle Sizing and Proportions
- Advanced Design Package with final formulation of hard points for Design Studio Development
- Definition of Mules and Prototypes for Technical Validation Platform Systems Integration
The whole process is supported with Benchmarking Analyses based on Subjective and Objective assessment and Virtual Simulations to support the process of Target Settings and Performance Integrations through Synthesis Models.
Pininfarina has a long lasting experience in lightweight materials.
Given the expertise gathered with customers like Ferrari, BMW, Automobili Pinifarina, etc. and the capabilities developed by itself, Pininfarina’s engineers are strongly skilled in design systems with all innovative materials:
- High Strength Steels (HSS / AHSS / UHSS)
- Carbon fiber
- Sintered materials
Pininfarina has a long-lasting experience in the non automotive transportation industry, for different markets, both in styling and engineering development. Pininfarina Engineering develops all ranges of transportation vehicles for several customers.
Offerings across Engineering domains:
- Benchmarking & Target setting
- Vehicle Architecture & packaging
- Concept Definition
- Feasibility Studies
- Complete Body Engineering; BIW, Exteriors, Interiors, etc.
- Powertrain (ICE, EV, HYBRID) system integration
- Chassis system integration
- EE System integration
- Virtual (CAE) and Physical Validation (Testing)
- Prototypes Manufacturing
- Performance Management
- Quality control
- Industrial follow up